Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Granola Answer

I posted earlier about how I made two batches of granola...one for me considering my dietary restrictions, and one for my hubby. Neither will do because the one I made for me, though I said it was palatable, isn't being eaten. I made it Sunday night and it sat on the counter, waiting for me to partake all day Monday and I just didn't do it. I'm not excited about it. I won't eat it, it'll go bad, and I won't make it again. Simple as that.

My hubby's batch is half gone, true, but he says it tastes like oatmeal cookies. Nothing wrong with that, but he doesn't WANT oatmeal cookies in a bar, he wants granola in a bar. WELL. I guess he told me, huh?

Enter Kat Food. I went looking for other bloggers that have similar dietary restrictions as my own this morning and found Kat! What a blessing, this blogland!

Here's Kat's Granola:
2 c. old-fashioned oats
2 c. puffed rice
2 c. puffed millet, or any other handy puffed cereal (wheat, etc.)
2 T. of each"small stuff" - flax seeds, wheat germ, wheat bran, hemp protien, for example)
2 t. of cinnamon
2 T. sugar-sweetness equivilant of stevia
1/2 t. of nutmeg
a dash of ground clove
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. oil
Mix together. Spread on a cookie sheet so that it's no more than 1" deep, put in a 350F oven for 30 mins, stirring half way through. Let cool before storing - best if stored in the fridge.


This would TOTALLY fit in my restrictive diet! If you're wondering where to find puffed rice, puffed millet, (or what millet is), you probably don't have the same type of health issues that Kat and I do! But if your wondering anyway and want to try it out, check out the health food section of your grocery store or a special natural or organic food store if you have one in your area.

No comments: