Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Fudge Oatmeal Cookies

My all-time favorite cookie!
I had a craving for something sweet tonight, so threw together a batch of these cookies I've been eating all my life! One of the great things about it is it's a stovetop recipe, so you don't have to heat up your oven. And of course, it's chocolate!

The Recipe:
1 stick butter (8 tbls), cut into smaller pieces
1/2 c milk (reconstituted dry milk works fine)
1/2 c cocoa (I use two squares of unsweetened baker's chocolate, cut in pieces to speed the melting)
2 c sugar (this ends up being quite sweet. I used a cup and a half once because that's all that was left and it was still pretty sweet.)
pinch salt

Add the above ingredients to a saucepan, bring to a boil and allow to boil for three minutes. (It should be about 200 degrees.) Remove from heat, add:

1 t vanilla
3 c oatmeal (this recipe was originally 2 1/2 c oatmeal, but I've been adding more lately and it still tastes great. granted, with all that sugar...)

Stir until mixed well, drop on waxpaper and allow to cool.

I like it when recipes say how long it takes to make, so from now on I'll do my best to remember to add that.

I consider myself kind of a slow cook, and these cookies took me about a half hour from gathering the ingredients to dropping the cookies on the wax paper. Cooling/setting will vary according to humidity.

No comments: