Friday, September 26, 2008

Thai Coconut Soup

I HAVE to try Stephanie's Thai Coconut Soup Crockpot recipe this weekend! Maybe my little sister will come and try it out. I know she's not thai, but she's korean and that, at least, is asian.
Is that bad of me?
Like saying I'm of european heritage so I should like french, italian, mexican, british and german food.
Which I do.
So there.


10/7/08:
I finally tried this soup! My variations are in bold:

--4 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
--1 can coconut milk (if you opt for the lite, you many want to add a drop of coconut extract to boost the flavor) I thought I had coconut milk, but it was cream of coconut (not a soup). I separated out the coconut oil (a solid) and mixed the goopier bit with the purely liquid part and added that to the soup instead of running out for coconut milk. This also contained sugar so I didn't add sugar later, as listed.
--4 limes (3 juiced, 1 for garnish)
--1/2 tsp lime zest I was using frozen limes, slightly thawed, and zesting didn't work out so well, so I left this out.
--1 red bell pepper, sliced in strips I left this out.
--4 oz sliced shitake mushrooms, cut in quarters
--1 large vine-ripened tomato, or 4 small-med, coarsely chopped No tomatoes on hand, so I used my salsa base. This also is taking place of the chili paste as it is very hot.
--1/2 pound extra firm tofu, cubed I've tried tofu many times and it never agrees with me, so I substituted mahi mahi. It was frozen when I put it in and it cooked up nicely.
--2 garlic cloves, minced
--3 T fish sauce I found this in the international section of the grocery store.
--1/2 tsp to 2 tsp red chili paste, to taste (you can use red chili flakes, too)
--1 tsp sugar (not pictured, I used a sugar packet)
--1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated

The Directions.
I used a 5 quart crockpot. Add all of the ingredients, cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or on high for 2-4. This soup is finished when it is fully hot, and the flavors have combined nicely.

This smelled a little funny to me but tastes fantastic! It's sweet and spicy, but not too much of either. Definitely a hit!

No comments: