Thursday, October 9, 2008

Spiced Grape Butter

I found this recipe here, but I'm doubling it becuase, well, I have 21 pounds of grapes and a pound and a half is just a drop in the bucket!

SPICED GRAPE BUTTER (already doubled)
3 lbs stemmed grapes
2 tab. Grated orange peel (about equivalent to two average sized oranges)
2 cup water
5 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
Wash grapes; separate skins from pulp. Cook pulp until soft; sieve to remove seeds. Add orange peel and water; cook 10 minutes. Add skins; heat to boiling. Add sugar and spices; cook till thick. Pour into hot, sterilized jars. Seal immediately. Makes about 8 cups.* from BETTER HOMES & GARDENS COOKBOOK *

My Comments:
These directions are a bit sparse on specifics. It took me about a half hour to separate the skins from the pulp. My grapes were already washed. As I was waiting for the mixture to thicken after adding the sugar and spices, I was getting impatient (an hour later) and looked up another recipe for grape butter that said it could take between 2-3 hours. I had to go out, so I put it on low and left for a few hours. When I got back it was still very thin (but super sweet!) so I used my immersion blender to break up the skins. That did the trick. It thickened quickly after that. Now I have purple fingers and lots of strange looks. But I also have a spiced grape butter that's going to be a big hit with kids of ALL ages!

Mine cooked for a total of 6 hours, but I think it would have gone quicker if I'd used the blender to begin with.

No comments: