Thursday, June 25, 2009

Crock Pot Baked Beans

My Hubby and I went to a friend's house a few weeks ago and had the greatest baked beans! I've never been a huge fan. I mean, I'll eat 'em, but I've never thought to make them myself. Even out of a can.

Until now! Inspired by Patrick's great dish, I'm on the hunt for a great recipe....

Here is where I'll start...

Baked Beans in a Crock Pot, simple and strightforward.


BAKED BEANS IN A CROCK POT

1 1/2-2 lb. yellow eyed &/or pea beans
Water
1 tsp. baking soda for soaking
Place beans in large pan, cover with cold water and add baking soda. Cover pan and soak several hours or overnight. Bring beans to a boil, then simmer 10 minutes. Drain.

Mix together:
2/3 c. molasses
8 tbsp. brown sugar
3 tsp. dry mustard
3 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 peeled onion
Place 1/2 the bacon in the bottom of a crock pot. Add drained beans and the molasses mixture. Top with the rest of the bacon. Add 1 peeled onion. Cook on medium setting for 10-12 hours or overnight. If more liquid is needed, add water.


My beans have soaked for a few days in the fridge (busy busy busy!) and I drained them tonight. I'll throw them back in the fridge and mix up the molasses mixture so I can combine them first thing in the morning. Tomorrow night...yummy baked beans for me!

*****
Okay, so that plan didn't exactly happen as hoped.
I threw them together the next night, they cooked on low for 13 hours and were on the verge of drying out. I added another batch of molases mix plus extra water and cooked for another hour or two, then I brought them camping (in our cousin's RV). The next day, I heated them up for a couple hours, and let them sit all day in the residual heat.
The guys still said they were too hard. I think they wanted them mushy.
We brought them home and I added even more water, and cooked for an additional 10 hours and they're still slightly too hard as far as my hubby is concerned. And not enough salt pork flavor. I guess bacon isn't a good enough substitute for these babies!

Plan: Next time I'll soak overnight AND boil up the next day, hopefully that will make a big difference. AND I'll use a salt-pork recipe!

No comments: