Monday, July 6, 2009

Spiced Sweet Cherries

I found a steal of a deal at my regular grocery today. 1.99 for a lb of fresh cherries, while they last. So I grabbed a bag and ran with it. I might go back for more after seeing this recipe...

See, the way I deal with happy finds like this is, I grab the deal and figure out what to make of it later.

Spiced Sweet Cherries

Ingredients:
6 to 7 cups sweet cherries
juice of 1 lemon
3 c. cider vinegar
2 (2") sticks of cinnamon
24 whole cloves
1 slice of ginger, 1/8" thick
2 bay leaves
½ c. honey
Wash and pit cherries and chill in ice water plus juice from half the lemon. In a saucepan with remaining lemon juice, simmer vinegar, honey, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and bay leaves for 15 minutes. Drain cherries. Fill four hot, scalded pint jars three-quarter full with cherries. Strain hot liquid, and pour over cherries, leaving ½" head space. Seal and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

No comments: